Monday, September 26, 2011

Poem: On the Number Two Bus




By: Rabbi Nesanel Kasnett
Writer, Editor at Artscroll/Mesorah Publications




Last night
I rode the No. 2 bus
(from the Western Wall).
I rode it without fear,
or concern.
Every bullet has an address,
a great rabbi once said,
and every screw bolt nail jagged
piece of metal,
I might add.

I rode the bus
out of the Dung Gate
around past the Jaffa Gate
and into the new city.
Around the little circle
where the bus exploded
a few weeks ago
and now very clean
and repainted so you
will not remember
but of course you do
it's only the rusted relics
of a bygone war on the
hilly approach to Jerusalem
that you ignore
but the enforced normalcy...
the quickly reconstructed cafes
that I cannot bring myself
to sit in drink smoke
gaily converse in the
cool dry Jerusalem night
you ache
your heart aches
to be there to be there again
to find the spot
where the scent of pines
overwhelms you
and slings you back
over vast sunlit
spaces to the desert excavations
and the kibbutz and the Palmach caves...
to Augusta Victoria hospital and...
the jets strafing and bombing
and the black smoke rising
and then the pincer complete
and the slow inexorable move
down the valley and through
the Lions Gate until the man
broadcasts on the radio,
"The Wall is in our hands."

Three rows in front of me
on the bus
sat a boy of about ten.
From my angle I could see
only his right cheek
and the back of his head.
The cheek was memorable, though:
plump, freckled, sweet.
He chatted with what appeared to be
a schoolmate across the aisle
and by his feet
lay a black canvas bookbag.
I watched the boys chatting sweetly,
easily following their rapid Hebrew;
they talked of soccer and the Bible.
I watched them leave the bus
at the Bar Ilan stop
and I was momentarily sad
to know
that I would never see them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment